Monday, January 13, 2014

"Friends" no more

There's no doubt that there are several times in your life you will probably lose friends. One- when you get married. Two-when you have kids. Forget the fair/foul weather adage- big life changes are the surest way to find out who is in it for the long haul and who's hauling ass to get the heck out of there.

There are several people I'm cutting out of my life- it's quite clear they don't care and even after all we've been through and how much I've been there for them. Well- it's all for nothing. Can't say I'm NOT bummed- because I am. I liked them. But that's the way life is at times.

These are the same 'friends' who showed up to my wedding almost-late. Because after months of planning they decided to go to their friends' shotgun wedding held at the same day and planned last minute (within 2 weeks of mine that we had set all year). Same 'friends' who left early (who does that) and brought along their brother- really(?!) who I met once and wasn't invited to the small affair. Same 'friends' who bug me to bring LO out to see THEM over an hr and a half away when I don't take him out much due to flu season and I don't have a car most of the week. Yeah.

As if this isn't bad enough, these people have been less than 15 mins away from me partying somewhere for a friend's birthday and didn't bother to let me know. Yesterday I found out they went to an attraction within five minutes of my house and didn't both to tell me. I mentioned it to them but got ignored. So yeah. End. Kaput. El Fin.

I'm a good friend. It's not often that I talk myself up but I'm speaking truth here. I'm loyal, I'm there for you til the end. If you need anything I'm usually the first to be there. So yeah- it hurts when I make people a priority and they make me an option at best.

Well, no more. I'm hoping to graciously 'fade' out of the picture. Fact is, we'll never get together unless I initiate and make it to see THEM on their time. Life's too short to waste and that's what I feel I've been doing. Wasting time and effort with people who couldn't give two hoots about me or what's going on in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment