Saturday, January 4, 2014

Disturbing

I'm often taken aback by the attitude of many of the parents I know who have their child in full-time daycare. I know this is or should not be the average parent- but it irks me. And so I blog. ;)

I was astounded recently by a friend who picked up her precious 6 month old from daycare and brushing off the fact that even her daycare providers were concerned on the mom's reaction. Another child had clawed her baby's face leaving noticeable marks. I know this probably happens a lot. Baby nails are lethal weapons, believe you me. But still- I was shocked inwardly by how the mom brushed it off and said it makes her kid look 'tough'. Really? Um ok. It's ok to be relaxed about parenting but just the thought of another child hurting my son makes me cringe. I'd understand if it happened on a playdate- shit happens- but I saw this kid in person and if she were my daughter I'd be livid with the harm doen to her on someone else's watch.

Another point- another mom's reaction to this- while most laughed and thought it 'funny' this one mom took it farther and mentioned that her 2 yr old son was in daycare from day one and often came home with bite marks. And she can laugh about it?!

I don't get it. I just don't. As a mom I can't comprehend what a lot of people perceive as 'normal' things to happen to their babies.

I realize I'm probably overprotective with LO, but there's a time when he'll fall and hurt himself or get into a play-related accident with a friend- and we'll clean him up and hug him and send him on his merry way. He'll be older than he is now. Maybe that's what disturbs me. These aren't kids old enough to talk, to tell their mom or dad what happened. These are babies. Unable to walk, barely sit and unable to fend for themselves. Why is this a laughing matter again? I'm pretty good at reading people's humor and getting jokes- but I assure you, this was no joke. To these parents it was the hilarious misfortune of life that they assumed we as mothers were all familiar with. :/

I realize I'm drastically different from the 'norm' here. I don't work full time, I don't use daycare for LO. In fact, I'm antsy even thinking about leaving him with someone I barely know for hours on end without me nearby. He's my baby- no one can care for him the way I do because no one loves him the way I do. As a former nanny I know this.

EDIT: I was thinking about this more and had to mention- the person with the kid who got their face clawed at?? Yeah- she said she was 'relieved' to have someone else take care of her kid full time. Why? Because she had no idea how to and relied on the workers to make sure her kid is raised well. Um- sorry- but isn't that the parent's job???

NOTE: the future posts may be offensive to some- but that is not my intention. This is simply me- saying what's on my mind and from my point of view and understanding. I know there are parents who use daycare, in other countries it's probably a far cry from the baby-farms we have here. This is my experience. I shudder to think I live in an area and a situation where this is normal, I don't mean to be pretentious. I'm honestly just taken aback by the lack of concern many parents have due to the early (6 weeks or less in some cases) separation from their infant. I do think America's limited maternity leave contributes greatly to many mother's lack of connection to the pain or fear their babies must feel when harm comes to them and she is not around. I feel there is simply no replacement for a (good) mother's love for her child.

No comments:

Post a Comment