Friday, February 21, 2014

Grace's dictionary for modern parenting

- I am including myself in this lot! Recently, I've noticed a lot of new language coming out when some people talk of their own children or children they know. The words 'brats' and 'twirps' aren't used nearly as much as other, more self-assuring words today. Here are a few examples and what I think of when I hear them:

My son/daughter is so sassy.
  Sassy. The s-word. While some adults may find it cute for a child to be 'assertive' in reality this means more often than not that the child is a tiny asshole. A right brat who would have been called such ten years ago, but not today. Sassy usually means the child who will backtalk adults with grown-up language and those who show no respect for their elders or call adults by their first name (am I the only one annoyed by this?)

Assertive. When I hear this, I've begun to assume this means the child has no problem smacking toys out of other children's hands or using bullying language on weaker children to get what they want when they want it. They might also try the same tactics with adults. Assertive should be a good word to use- a lot of the times it just means a bully.

Independent. Refuse to listen to authority and will test a new person in charge at every turn.

These should be good words, but they're not. In addition, I'll add some 'bad' words I hear thrown out about some kids who just need TLC.

Spoiled. Really? Is your baby really spoiled? Or just not getting the attention they need? It's a far cry from the spoiled child wanting a goose to lay golden eggs for her vs. the baby who just wants mama.

ADD- ADHD- bored/hyperactive. I know ADD and ADHD are very real things, but more often than not some people will tell you that about their child when they have not been diagnosed. As if that itself described the child. Honestly, this sucks. Some kids are just easily bored because they need stimulation they are not getting. Maybe they want attention instead of being home where screens are on all day and then they are expected to settle down quietly into bed when they have not had the one-on-one time they desperately need.

These are just some observations I've made and they do not apply to everyone. I have noticed the disturbing trend where parents appear to be no longer parents and guides- but naturalists observing monkeys in their natural habitat with clipboards marking down their behavior from a distance and talking to other scientists about their 'findings' lol. See what I mean? I guess that's what happens when my generations, latch-key-kids, have children of their own. The young parents of the 2010's have drastically different examples of parenting than the generations before us. Most just go with the flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment