Friday, February 14, 2014

All the things I've never do as a mom

I think every parent or prospective parent has this list- of things they'll never repeat that their parents did to them. I've decided to share mine. There are a lot of things I don't agree with in how my parents raised me, I think my biggest fear as a mom wasn't in having an actual kid of my own- but being a terrible parent to that child.

Here's my list:
I WILL NEVER

-belittle their hopes or dreams with sharp words from my mouth or actions that show disapproval of who they are

-impose any religion on my child, they will be educated and have the freedom to choose what they believe in instead of being indoctrinated from infant hood to a particular religious background

-beat my child in any way, shape or form. I just don't think I have it in me, nor does my husband. I don't think we could ever use physical harm as a means of discipline.

-be so busy that I do not have time for my child. Okay- that's a tough one. If I can't drop what I'm doing to be there when my child really needs me, I'm too busy with things that shouldn't be more important.

I WILL ALWAYS

-listen to my child. A lot of abuse towards children in particular can be avoided if parents are really in-tune with what their child may be trying to tell them. In listening, I will never force him to do something he is rightfully uncomfortable to do.

-watch my language- even if I don't agree with someone I can disagree in a respectful manner. I want my child to know that just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean you have the right to treat them in a way they should not be treated.

-know when to handle matters in private. I hated hearing/watching my parents argue. Violently. I don't want my son to grow up with that.

-be my child's mother, and eventually shift into the role of friend. I will not be his friend from birth- nor will I be his mommy dearest he can come running back to as a child when he's a grown man. I will know my boundaries and I will not overstep them.

-respect my child's decision to be different from me. Lord knows I'm full aware constant battering and disagreements usually end in no contact ;) - I will NOT be my in laws. This one is hard as a parent- I never want my son to move halfway across the globe from me, but if he does I will have to be ok with it.

Do you have a list? If so- what's on it? Feel free to share, I'm always adding things to mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment