Monday, February 4, 2013

Peruvian Tacos


Peruvian Tacos

Makes: 4 servings (12 tacos)

1 lb. uncooked ground chicken ( I use turkey and it was amazing)
1/2 c. chopped white onion
2 tsp. ground coriander (opt)
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. salt
1 14 1/2-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 potato, peeled and finely chopped
1/4 c. snipped pitted dried plums (also optional, this gives the dish a bit of a sweet bite so I prefer to leave it out)
1/4 c. chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives
12 6- to 7-inch corn or flour tortillas
4 to 6 oz. Cotija or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
chopped cilantro for topping

1. Preheat oven to 350. In a large skillet, cook chicken and onion until chicken is no longer pink; stir to break up pieces. Drain off fat, if necessary. Add coriander, cumin, and 1 tsp. salt; cook and stir for 1 to 2 min. Add undrained tomatoes, potato, plums, and olives. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered 12 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Uncover; cook 5 minutes more or until most of the liquid has evaporated.

2. Meanwhile, wrap tortillas in foil; bake for 15 minutes or until heated.

3. To assemble tacos, place 1/3 c. chicken mixture in center of each tortilla; top with cheese. Sprinkle with additional chopped onion and snipped fresh cilantro. Fold tortillas in half.

Also:
 I usually double this recipe because these go so fast!
 I sometimes add sour cream to the topping.
The cooking time is usually a bit longer for me but it's still a quick an easy meal for a weeknight. I usually cook 30 minutes or until the potato is soft.
Turkey was amazing in this recipe.
I almost never add the coriander simply because I don't like it.

Yum! Let me know if you try this. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment