Friday, November 28, 2014

The picture of clearly not-me

I've used various pictures of Princess Di over the years I've been writing as my profile picture. I thought I'd explain why.

I've always been semi-obsessed with the royal family and even as a little girl I loved Princess Diana. Again, as a grown woman with my own son- looking back over her life, I feel a strange sense of connection to her.

Her pain, her love and joy in her boys, how everyone wanted her to stay proper and quiet even when she was in so much pain.

I get it. In different ways, but I do understand what that's like.

Cherished by friends and strangers, yet unknown to so many of us until after her death. Her legacy lives on and is a constant reminder to me of what it means to give voices to others and yet keep so silent about her own issues. The bird that cannot sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment