Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Time (or lack thereof!)

One thing I've noticed about being a stay at home mom is this: everyone and their mother will want you to do things for them. There is some wild assumption that stay at home parents have TIME, not only to keep a perfect house and sit back and watch tv- but also time  to follow up on other things. Things they themselves are too busy to do because they 'work'- well, we BOTH work- let's not fib.

It's annoying. Working friends who are moms make the assumption they can have me whip up things for them/their kids. Good grief no. I mean- if I get around to it- sure. I'm not a witch. But seriously? I barely have time to make sure my kid stays alive much less tend to the Pinterest-needs of your little spawnling.

I'm not being uppity- working parents work. Stay at home parents work. I'm neither. I'm a work at home parent, meaning I work nights, weekends and nap times just to AFFORD to stay at home with my littles. There's a huge misconception that stay at homes (used to be a bad term there..... interesting history on the word) do nothing.

I have to say though, being a mom who takes care of her son full time- I feel I have a different viewpoint on his childhood than other moms I know. Time. There is SO little of it- and yet so much. Watching my son full time opens my eyes to the fact that other things are far more permanent than his childhood.

And so the projects and the housework and the cooking get pushed aside. There will be time ahead where I can get ahead.... but now.... now is the time to hug and kiss little boy faces while they're still little. To send them to bed knowing they will never again be so small. Not saying working parents don't do this as well- but really...... please stop asking me to do things for you/your family if you don't have the time to do them yourself. It's not up to me to 'mom' your child while you are being 'mom at work'. I'm sorry if my projects and hugs and homemade things go straight to my son over anyone else. That's just how it is right now. You can't outsource that kind of stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment